PSAs Win Film Awards for Raising Latino Cancer Screening Awareness
Two public service announcements (PSAs) that urge Latinos to get screened for cancer have won prestigious “Public Service” Awards at the 31st Annual Telly Awards for the Institute for Health Promotion Research (IHPR) at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, the team behind SaludToday.
The winning PSAs, “I Admire Them” and “Now You Know,” are 30-second TV spots produced by the IHPR’s Redes En Acción: The National Latino Cancer Research Network, a National Cancer Institute network.
These two PSAs and four others were released in late 2009 by Redes to encourage Latinos to learn more about screening tests available for breast, cervical and colorectal cancers by calling the NCI’s toll-free number (1-800-4CANCER). The culturally appropriate PSAs were developed by Redes cancer experts.
All 6 PSAs, which are currently airing on TV stations across the nation and on the SaludToday Web site.
- Video: A Latina’s Brave Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Latina Researcher Spotlights Global Cancer Prevention Research
- New Spanish-Language Anti-Smoking Website
- Latino Health in Focus: Surviving Cancer, Reducing Obesity
- ‘Breast Friends Forever’: A Unique Support Group for Young Women with Breast Cancer
- Now En Español: 6 Videos on Latino Childhood Obesity Solutions
- Webinar 11/12/13: How to Build a Program to Help Latinas Deal with Breast Cancer Issues
- Latinos on a Mission to Increase Healthier Lifestyles
- Latina Researcher Wins ‘Health Promotion’ Award
- Bilingual Videos: Why Do Latinas Need to Schedule a Mammogram?